The Difference Between Renters Insurance And Homeowners Insurance

homeowners insurance

There are a lot of similarities between renters insurance and homeowners insurance—but they aren’t exactly the same. It is important to understand both types of insurance so you know exactly what your policy covers.

Renters Insurance

Renters insurance usually includes the following coverage:

Personal Property

Personal property coverage protects your possessions inside your apartment. It covers your clothing, electronics, furniture, jewelry appliances and more from loss due fires, thefts, or floods.


If you are sued by a guest who is injured in your apartment, liability coverage will pay for legal protection for you and medical expenses for the injured party.

Additional Living Expenses

If a fire, flood, or other unexpected disaster damages your apartment, you may need to stay at a hotel for awhile. This coverage pays for hotel bills and more while you wait for your apartment to be repaired.

Renters insurance is important because the coverage held by the building owner covers the physical structure, but not your possessions inside. Renters insurance is an affordable way to protect yourself and your property.

Homeowners Insurance

Like renters insurance, homeowners insurance usually covers personal property, liability, and additional living expenses.

Homeowners insurance also provides coverage for your home itself from damage due to wind, hail, fires or other disasters spelled out in your insurance policy. This coverage protects the roof, walls, and other structural elements of your home. This coverage usually extends to other structures on your property such as a shed, pool, garage, or guest home.

Homeowners insurance and renters insurance both provide essential protection for you, your family, and your property. To learn more about insurance coverage and customized policies, visit Heuer Insurance.